Monday, March 23, 2009

Race- Crash- Cramp- 11th- Learn

Had my first race of the season yesterday. I learned a lot from the race and now I know my weaknesses. Leg strength. A 2.5 hour long 30 mile race is a long way. I felt awesome for the first 1.5 hours. I was in 5th place and racing fast. My breath and HR were under perfect control. Just a short way into the 3rd lap, my front tire washed out at high speed and went down hard. At the same time I crashed my left calf muscle cramped hard. After I unlocked my calf I got back on my bike and worked hard to catch back up to my group. I then began to notice every muscle in both legs wanted to cramp. The 4th and 5th lap were very difficult with legs wanting to cramp. I was 20% slower on those two laps. My HR and breathing were perfect but my legs had nothing left in the tank. I now know what I need to work on. Muscular endurance. I need my legs to make it to then end of the race strong. Had I been able to hold my pace then I could have had the top 5 finish that I was looking for. I have just over a month and one more race to accomplish my goal. My hard workouts are going to be harder and my rest days will be more frequent.

No comments:

Post a Comment